Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Good Morning

It is 7:30 am and my happy little birds just got up. And I should say that they are indeed chirpy little birds not the harpies of the past days. So the extra hour and half of sleep must have done the trick.

After I posted last night about killing the nap I thought about it some more and thought I should clarify. I am not the cruel mommy taking a nap away from a child who desperately still wants one. Rather I am the helpful mommy trying to ease my child through the transition from sometimes napping to no napping but still get enough sleep. And by ease I am referring to the cold turkey no napping program.

If Beau would nap at a decent hour, like 1 or 2 or heck even 3 in the afternoon that would be fine but for the past few weeks he has wanted to nap at 4 or 5 in the afternoon for 2 or 3 hours. A nap that late in the day encroached into bedtime territory and then bedtime would become 10 pm rather than 8 pm. And then he was still getting up at 6:30 in the morning. And he wasn't the chirpy bird he is this morning but rather the blanketed harpy screeching demands at me. It was frightening. I do not like to be woken up by that thing so something had to change.

So the nap is just a problem. I am going to stick with the 7pm bedtime and see how it goes. So far so good but only the rest of the day will tell.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like he is ready to give it up. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete