Friday, October 27, 2006

The Future of Baseball Does Not Look Promising


I signed Beau up for a sports sampler class at the YMCA. They get to do 2 weeks each of soccer, t-ball and hockey. It is for ages 3-5.

Soccer went pretty well. I mean it is pretty simple: do not touch the ball with your hands. Kick the ball into the goal.

Baseball, I mean t-ball, is much more complex. Coach James, to help them with running the bases put a little colored cone at each base. He explained "First you run to orange and then to yellow and then to blue and then home plate." All the boys immediately started yelling "I want blue! I want blue!"

The throwing and the hitting of the ball went okay.
But hitting the ball and running the bases proved infinitely more difficult for them.

Every. Single. Boy would hit the ball and then chase after the ball and then bring the ball to either Coach James or Coach Nora and then after much prompting would run the bases, sometimes stopping to pick up the blue or yellow cone. The instructions had been: Hit the ball. Drop the bat. Run the bases. Do not get the ball. Do not get the ball.

Next week they are going to play a game.
I can't wait.
And then it is on to hockey.
I also can't wait to see what happens when Coach James gives 10 little boys hockey sticks.
It is going to be awesome.

1 comment:

  1. If he's going to hand out sticks, I hope there are some helmets involved.

    Oh God, I can't believe I said that. Well, good luck with hockey!

    ReplyDelete