Saturday, October 06, 2007

Soul Crushing Sinus Infection

Alleluia! Praise antibiotics I am healthy again. I can breathe! I can breathe! I can breathe!

After only one dose of antibiotics I was no longer all stuffy sounding and after 2 I was able to breathe through both nostrils and I woke up for the first time in almost 2 weeks without joint pain. I think, I was really sick.

But now I am well! The snot is gone!

So well and optimistic do I feel that not only did I sign up for the Silver Comet half on Oct 27th but also the Chickamuaga marathon on Nov 10th.

I am very excited.

Now it is crunch time. So far I have managed a 20, a 21 and a 23 miler. I think I have time to get in a 24 and one or 2 20 milers before I taper for 2 weeks. Next week, if I am going to do it I have to do my 24 miler. Otherwise I won't have enough time to bounce back and get stronger before the races.

My run yesterday was very optimistic considering that on Tuesday (pre antibiotics) I was so exhausted from just carrying the groceries inside from the car that I had to lay on the couch before I could muster the energy to put them away. I've eased back into the workouts and woke up Friday morning feeling 100%-- unfortunately the weather was kinda sucky: raining, humidity and high 70-low 80's. Still though, certainly no where near as terrible as last month when all my long runs finished up in the high 90's. But I am still holding out for that brisk long run when the air feels thin, cool and delicious and I feel like I am flying. Feeling like I am breathing with a sweater wrapped around head and that lead, not blood, is coursing through my veins is getting a little tiresome. Come on fall. Get here and stay here.

I put in 16 but could have easily run 20. Only had time for the 16. I felt amazing at the end. I didn't run it as fast as I would have liked but 16 miles in 2 hours and 16 minutes--not too bad considering how I felt only a few days before. Today I am headed to the gym for a speed workout. Less concerned about the distance than running some fast miles since my runs the past 2 weeks have all been recovery or general aerobic run pace. I will probably hit a 10K but may go for the whole hour and do a little over eight. I was hoping to swim but I have company coming this afternoon so I need to clean my house because I feel it is important for the kids to see an accomplishment when they trash it. That seems to be a big part of the fun for them in coming to my house.

This week:
Sunday: Nursing Patron hangover. Congestion and fatigue one step above death. Fun day, really. Payment for way too fun of a night.

Monday: 5-6 easy miles that were not totally terrible. A 20 mile bike with Steph where I dragged and felt like I had vertigo.

Tuesday: too sick to even make across the parking lot with out a break.

Wednesday: 20 AWESOME miles on the bike with Steph. I loved this ride even though the hills in the end killed my quads. We must do again and add on more. Miles--not necessarily hills.

Thursday: 10 miles at an 8:20 pace.

Friday: 16 miles at 8:30 pace. Great! Little sore in the right hip today but otherwise fence posts feel pretty fresh.

Saturday: planned 10+K at a 7:30 or faster pace. Some sub 7's thrown in there too, hopefully.

Le Totals:
Running: 37-39 (depends on Sat run)
Bike: 40 miles
Swim: nothing

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you were dizzy or tired during any bike ride. Except for coming up through the hilly neighborhood (when people kept calling me), I was struggling to keep up with you.

    I felt your pain this morning after taking the kids to the Target after Annika's soccer game and had to lay my head down. Hoping it's just the post-flu-shot malaise - cross fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray for antibiotics, glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete